12.22.2011

Friendship is a form of interpersonal relationship generally considered to be closer than association, although there is a range of degrees of intimacy in both friendships and associations.

Value that is found in friendships is often the result of a friend demonstrating the following on a consistent basis:
  • The tendency to desire what is best for the other.
  • Sympathy and empathy.
  • Honesty, perhaps in situations where it may be difficult for others to speak the truth, especially in terms of pointing out the perceived faults of one's counterpart.
  • Mutual understanding and compassion; ability to go to each other for emotional support.
  • Enjoyment of each other's company.
  • Trust in one another.
  • Positive reciprocity — a relationship is based on equal give-and-take between the two parties.
  • The ability to be oneself, express one's feelings and make mistakes without fear of judgement.

There are few people in my life that I call "friend". Sure, I may refer to someone as a friend, but that doesn't necessarily make them a "friend". I would literally do anything for those that I call my friends. Anything. I don't care what time it is, where you are, what you need, if it's in my power, I'll do everything I can to be there for you. As much as I've made myself available, as much as I've allowed myself to forgive those who don't demonstrate the same level or friendship that I do, I feel like I've finally come to a breaking point. I've said this in the past, hell I've even attempted to sever ties in the past, and it didn't work. I'm not saying I need to sever ties this time, I'm not saying I need to completely remove people from my life, but I do feel like I need to withdraw my services. If I'm not receiving the same level of friendship, why should I offer a higher level to you? I shouldn't. I've come to the conclusion that from now on, I will be a mirror. I will reflect whatever is being shown to me. They say insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Let's see if this works. 

2 comments:

  1. Three words... "Long Handle Spoon"! We teach people how to treat us.

    ReplyDelete