3.02.2011

So I tweeted about this a few days ago



but there's only so much you can say in 140 characters. 

  If you were building a house, would you build it on sand? Like, would you just start building right on top of a sand dune? Probably not. And if you did, your house probably wouldn't last a week. Why? Because sand shifts. It moves very easily and is always changing positions. If you're looking to build a house that will stand the test of time, it'd be in your best interest to build somewhere steady, like flat soil. That'd a great place to build a solid foundation. With a solid foundation you stand little to no chance at all of anything coming and knocking your house over. Now obviously, there are natural disasters that occur, but even when there is a tornado or strong winds, a good foundation will always remain, even after the structure has been scattered about. Now I don't say all of this to preach to you about how to actually build a house, but more to show the logic of how I feel our lives should be structured. 
  I've seen so many people get in relationships and make their significant other the center of their life. They base nearly everything on this one single person. Needless to say, on the dismal day that the couple in discussion decides to part ways, the person is distraught. They feel like their whole world has come crumbling down. Everything from their grades, job, even their health, can all be effected by one person. This obviously isn't healthy.
  The way I see it, people are like sand. We are ever changing, ever evolving. If the wind blows one way really hard, we will move with it. Does that mean we're wishy-washy? No, it's human nature. It's life. It's how we learn. With that being said, it's absolutely foolish and illogical for us to build our lives around something that is and probably will never be completely stable. If we do this, we will never be fully comfortable because we'll always be bracing ourselves for that next strong gust of wind, and that's not the way life was intended to be lived. How is that enjoyable? 
  So where's our flat soil to build upon? That's up to you. It won't be the same for everyone. My flat soil that I build my foundation on is God. Am I saying that I am a perfect Christian? Of course not. I don't live everything I preach, and I cuss like a sailor. But I use God and the Bible as a core set of unchanging values that will always be there and will never sway. I don't care if you're a bible toting Christian or an Atheist, I feel like everyone should have a religion or at least a central idea that they base their life around. Whether it's just being a great person for those around you, or following the Koran religiously, you should always have some type of unwavering foundation that will never change. When you do this, you'll see that life is much easier to enjoy. Am I saying all of your problems disappear? Of course not. But there is a certain peace you gain when you can put things into perspective with a central idea that is a constant in your life. 
  With all of this said, I'm definitely not telling you to completely do away with having relationships with people or being in love. What I am saying is that it's much easier to deal with heartbreak or a break-up when you accept that people are sand, and that they are not a constant. Sure, it's still going to hurt, but your life will still be in tact because your foundation hasn't gone anywhere. 
  As I eluded to earlier, even the strongest houses are subject to natural disasters. Natural disasters of life can be deaths in your family, health problems (either you or your loved ones), or even financial issues. Even when these types of things hit our lives and seemingly tear it to shreds, we will always have our foundation to re-build on. Those trials that we face with disasters allow us to build bigger and better and help us learn how to protect ourselves from the next disaster. Everything in life is a learning process. Nothing horrible ever happens for no reason at all. If you haven't found a reason, it will eventually present itself sooner or later. 
  I like to live my life by the motto, "Just Keep Livin'." What I mean by that is no matter what happens in life, if you just keep living, stay true to your foundation, things have a way of working themselves out in a way that you might not have even seen possible. I didn't mean to get too preachy, but I just had this in the back of my head and I've been meaning to write about it for a while now. Hopefully I've helped someone who may have needed to hear this. I love you guys.

                                                                                                                                                   - Trent

6 comments:

  1. Love what you just said...spoke to my heart :) Bless you child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this. Especially the first two sentences in the last paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extremely well said and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. who modeled for you? ^_^

    This is a perfect picture for the topic at hand

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still love this picture. It will probably be my pic for all posts about love.

    ReplyDelete